If you are new to the Mac (like Y. and M.) allow me to recommend these handy apps:
1. Cocktail clears all sorts of caches and logs. This is not a get-drunk cocktail – this is a get well smoothie…
2. Disk Warrior repairs your computer’s directory. And with harddrives becoming larger and larger there are more and more files to keep track of in that directory.
3. SuperDuper! creates a fully bootable backup. If your Mac’s internal HD takes a dive, you can restart from a backup drive and keep going.
4. Quicksilver is a launcher and so much more. I haven’t used the dock in years. I launch apps and find contacts with Quicksilver. Works great in conjunction with Spotlight. Each has its strength. I use the Command-Space combo to launch Quicksilver and launch Spotlight with F1.
And what will those four fab apps cost you? Quicksilver is free and so the total comes to $142 and change. You can thank me later.
Oops, I forgot this essential app:
5. Yojimbo is a great way to organize information such as notes, bookmarks, web-archives, PDFs, passwords, serial numbers, recipes. You can encrypt data and organize by tags or collections. Yojimbo also plays nicely with Quicksilver… For a widescreen-view hack of Yojimbo check here. (I personally like the widescreen view much better and use a similar hack with Apple Mail.)